Part of SA2 Saturday Evening 2
About This Performance
The violinist who is beloved around the world shares a wide-ranging program as both conductor and soloist, beginning with Bach, whose A-minor Violin Concerto energizes us with its inventive rhythms over a commanding groove. Brahms’ first big success as an orchestral composer was his “Haydn” Variations, a delightful work that varies greatly in mood from variation to variation: thoughtful, gentle, martial, even sensual. Moving ahead about 25 years to the end of the 19th century, Elgar’s own set of variations could hardly seem more different, but it, too, possesses wide mood swings and likewise established the composer’s international reputation. Even Mahler conducted the Enigma Variations in New York!
This evening’s concert is made possible by the generous support of the Elaine and Bram Goldsmith Great Artists Fund.
Programs, artists, dates, times, prices and availability subject to change.
Upbeat Live: pre-concert talks
Also Coming to Walt Disney Concert Hall
- Composer Salonen: Piano Concerto: Saturday, February 10, 2018 - 8:00pm
- A Trip to the Moon: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 8:00pm
- Mahler's Song of the Earth: Saturday, April 7, 2018 - 8:00pm
- Dvořák's 7th: Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 8:00pm
- Schumann Cycle: Das Paradies: Saturday, June 2, 2018 - 8:00pm